Monday, November 5, 2012

"This above all: to thine own self be true" Shakespeare - Hamlet (Act I, Sc. III)...if I remember correctly....

I haven't posted in a few days because I've mostly been working.  I also think I've shown you all the views from McMurdo that you could possibly see this time of year.  As always, though, life is its own adventure sometimes and I have struggled with the idea of telling this next story for the past few days now.  The reason is because it might come across somewhat self-serving, but there is an important message in it that I was reminded of ever since. 

Where to begin?  With pictures of course!  While I was walking around the other day taking pictures of the town and landscape, I took a few pictures of Building 007 - Chapel of the Snows.




Most of you know that I'm not religious and find more conflict between basic religious ideologies these days than truths.  I do however recognize the incredible importance religion plays in the lives of so many people and the ethical and moral guidance it provides and will never fault that.  It is just important for you to understand that this isn't about religion or me preaching about a belief system. 

When I made it to the front of the building and took the pictures above I remembered that the Pastor who spoke at our in-brief mentioned something.  He said that some of the best views of the frozen Ross Sea could be seen from behind their alter at the Chapel, and that anyone is welcome to come in and take pictures from within the Chapel.  I went inside and said hello to the Pastor and mentioned that I was just there to take a few pictures of the interior and from the window.  The only picture that really turned out well within is below and I took it with lots of contrast to emphasize the beauty in the window and stained-glass.



After I took this picture and thanked the Pastor for being so welcoming, I noticed a person sitting off to my right who was crying and praying.  I had seen this person before and recognized them as one of the kitchen staff who I know recently arrived.  No, not getting more specific on name or position or even sex; again, debated even talking about this...  As some of you who are reading this already know; deployment of any kind, even for short durations can be very difficult.  Everyone handles the stress of being separated from loved ones differently.  Some handle it well, some don't; some just hide the pain and others let it out and not always under their control.  This person was in pain.  Intense pain that was almost palpable in the room.  If you know me, you know that I can't just sit by and watch as someone is hurt or in need.  Before I knew it me feet had walked me over and I was handing a wad of napkins I'd taken fro the Galley at Lunch to this person.  In that moment they took the napkins and they looked up at me and smiled.  I put my hand on their shoulder and silently shared in their pain for a moment.  I never actually said anything and all they did was to smile and nod thankfully, as I did in turn as acknowledgment.  I didn't bother offering useless platitudes on  how "everything would be fine" or any other statement that I don't actually know to be true.  Just silence and a smile.  After this, I smiled at the Pastor who'd been watching and then I left to continue my walk.  The next day the person from the Chapel grabbed me while I was getting breakfast and thanked me.  Ever since, when in the Galley or around town and I see this person, they smile and say hello.  I of course return the smile and salutation. 

So why tell this story about a person in so much pain???  Because this person and the smile I see every time our paths cross, reminded me of something - Some of us are lucky and we were intrinsically built with the tools to handle this sort of stress and some people are not and need help.  It isn't the action of compassion I showed or empathy that I want you to remember though.  It is that the inspiration to help someone that comes from the misery of a person who is fighting their demons alone.  The inspiration that we should never deny.  Knowing that by acknowledging their pain, that we must have the courage to face your own demons. In this instance, reminding me how very much I love Melissa and my children and how much I miss them.  Yet smiling through our own pain to help someone who is in need.  This isn't religion or science or psychology; it is human.  Sometimes I forget that it is rarely a large action that changes a life or alters someone's reality making it better.  It is a smile, a tissue, a simple pat on the shoulder that lets people know that they aren't alone.   

Yes, a little on the squishy side for one of my stories - I know.  I promise to not tell any more stories like this and yes, I do have a many more.  I'll try to keep my stories more science'y or funny...'y from here on.  I will be at the South Pole from Saturday through Monday, so there will be lots of stories and pictures for you soon!  Until then....... :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment