Thursday, November 29, 2012

Antarctica by sea


**Ultra short posting.  The internet is slower than dialup and too intermittent for me to get in a real posting, but figured I'd update everyone on my progress back to the ice.**

Back to Antarctica!  Seems like I just left...oh wait!  I did about 10 days ago.  This time I'm on my way to the opposite side of the continent to a small station (Palmer Station) on the Peninsula.  To get there I have a 4.5 day boat ride on the LMG (Lawrence M. Gould) Research Vessel.  What an amazing way to head out to Antarctica, or anywhere really.  We set sail in a few hours in fact at 1300 my time, 1100 EST.  We leave from our port in Punta Arenas, Chile.  I won't be able to send any pictures while underway since internet is slower than dialup via satellite while in the Drake and South Sea.

 
So where do I really start this entry.  How about yesterday, since today's story will be better told from Palmer after the voyage.  Yesterday was my first full day here in Chile.  I checked out of my hotel in the morning and moved aboard the ship.  What fun, really.  This is a quick turnaround trip, so there aren't a lot of people on-board.  This means we all get our own rooms.  I like it that way! 


After getting settled in on the ship, I went to lunch with my friend Gonzalo down here.  He took me to a place called Saltitos.  This is another of Punta Arenas best places to eat.  We had a plate of seafood as a starter which had some of the best fresh seafood I've ever eaten.  I even liked the scallops!  Then the Lamb came out.  Okay, so if you look at the picture of the lamb you might not recognize the cuts, because there are "parts" skin, bones, shoulder, cheek, etc - the best parts!  YUM! 

 


 After lunch and resettling on the ship, I went for a long walk.  Found the local Fire Station in fact.  No one was there, which I will say is a little unsettling, but it is what it is.


Later in the day I walked around with some friends and ended at La Marmita's for some drinks and a light dinner.  We had a good time talking and drinking some local beer.


 
 
On the way back to the boat I saw the yard below.  To my Travelocity friends, I've found out where all your Gnomes are really going!!!

 

So yes, as I said - short posting.  The real adventure begins in about 45 minutes when we set sail.  I won't be able to post pictures for about four days, but when I get to Palmer, I will make sure to make it up to everyone who reads (looks at the pictures) my blog!  :)

To my friend Lem - Sorry Spock, no Krakens yet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment