Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Leaving Antarctica and an evening with DJ Paul

I have been sitting here reflecting, this evening, over the last few weeks that I've been on "The Ice."  I remember several years ago sitting in my living room watching a National Geographic special on Antarctica.  They show was about how they built the new South Pole Station and how they were going to decommission the old Dome Station that was mostly under the ice.  I was fascinated looking at the harshness of the climate and amazed that we as humans have the ability to not only brave this climate, but to conquer it and build structures like the new station.  Structures that serve one primary purpose - Science!  I was in awe over the intensity I saw on the faces of the people who worked there, many of whom I now call friend.  In short - I wanted to go; to see this amazing place and to experience it for all that it is.  Over the last few weeks I've had that very chance, to live out a dream, an aspiration, an idea.  The Pole itself is incredible.  Not only was I humbled by the climate and its insatiable and relentless cold; I was astounded by the scientific exploration that is taking place every day in this environment and by the people with whom I met.  These may seem like quixotic statements, but they are not.  Right now as you are reading this we have a group of scientists who are looking at galaxies formed just after the big bang.  The earliest creation and furthest back in time we've every been able to see!  There are teams of physicist and researchers looking for neutrinos.  There is more scientific exploration going on in Antarctica right now than you could ever imagine.  All of it being conducted by over a dozen or so nations with one goal - to further our understanding of our world and the universe.

To change gears a little, and hopefully wake you back up from my rambling, let me tell you about my last day at the South Pole.  Well, first, my last day was really two days.  The first day we couldn't get a flight due to other operational needs and weather.  This is common and some people end up waiting a week or so to get out of Pole at times.  I was fortunate and on the second day an LC-130 landed so I could head back to McMurdo.  Once the plane was near the airfield I made my way out to the side of the runway to take a few pictures.  We had a few issues getting out of Pole since we were held by air traffic control due to an inbound C-17 that they were concerned would be on the ground when we would be arriving at McMurdo.  This was sorted eventually and while this was being worked out I had time to hang out with some of my firefighter friends in a small building labeled "South Pole International Passenger Terminal" next to the runway.  The flight was great, very little cargo and all engines were working perfectly.  I even took a nap for about two hours.  Landing at McMurdo, the Loadmaster opened the back and all I could see were the amazing mountains that surround the Ross Ice Shelf that the Ice Runway is built upon.  It was nice to be back at McMurdo, mostly because I hadn't had a shower in about a week and my clothes needed to be washed so bad they were able to stand up on their own!  I was tempted to take them outside and burn them, but I remembered that I would be violating the Antarctic Treaty and decided to just use extra soap in the machine.  :)  The shower was wonderful.  You see, at Pole you can only shower a maximum of twice per week and the water can only run for a maximum of two minutes each shower.  If you are a short term visitor, you don't shower - sort of an unwritten rule that you donate your two minutes or so to someone else who is staying there for the season. 

Enough of me being funky.  Tonight is my last night at McMurdo and guess what?!  I finally had the chance to DJ on 104.5 The Ice!  I had a lot of fun and probably had a total of maybe three listeners, probably by accident, but it was fun!!  If I ever come back I fully intend to host at least two shows per week.  I didn't have a lot of time to prepare, so I ended up using their digital library which is huge.  The hour flew by!  It felt like only a few minutes.  I think two hour shows would be much more fun in the future.  I only wish they let me record it!  Talking to one of my friends here they are pretty strict about that, but perhaps in the future I'll at least get the chance to record me!  I know, a bit vane, but how many times have you hosted a radio show?!?!?!  Exactly!!!  All I can say, if you ever have an opportunity to do something like it, DO IT!  Don't hesitate to live of life will pass you by and all you'll have is regret.  I'll let those be my parting words for the main section tonight.  Now on to the pictures!!!  :)

Panorama of South Pole Station from the Airfield

LC-130 at the South Pole

South Pole International Passenger Terminal 

Firefighters...yes, this is our natural state.  :)
I have to say, these guys are awesome and have my
deepest respect for doing this job in this climate.
 
Just too cool!
 
One last look around into the distance at the Ceremonial South "Pole"

Tired, funky, in need of a shave, shower, and bed.

Same as above :)

Nice and cozy

Naps are a great thing.  They are a necessity in Antarctica in fact!

Not a lot of cargo this time, so room to stretch.

Amazing view while making our way to "the pit" to be dropped off.

Still amazing...

Yeah...this too...

Last one, but still amazing... 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done sir, it had truly been a once in a lifetime (well for you it will be twice) experience to be humbled by yer shear size and openness of that continent. I suspect the pictures, as good as they are, can not portray the beauty of the environment but I have enjoyed seeing each and everyone of them. Get home safe and enjoy a couple tall glasses of wine.

    ReplyDelete