Saturday, October 27, 2012

Life at McMurdo


Life on the Ice is very interesting and different.  The first thing I think everyone learns is that everything here is harder.  Take for example walking to the next building.  You can't just walk out the door when it's -40 and windy.  First you make sure you have on the right amount of layers, then you need your parka, two hats, wind gear if it's really windy.....you get the idea.  Then you step outside and start walking.  Sounds great, except you just exhaled and the moisture from our breath has now created a layer of ice on both sides of the lenses on your sunglasses.  Did I mention that the sun isn't going to set again until sometime in February???  So it's bright here and the sun is almost always in your eyes, so those frozen sunglasses are needed!  So you take them off, slide them inside you coat and grab your goggles or second pair of sunglasses if you have them.  Keep in mind that all you've done is walk down some stairs so far!  :)  So now you're moving...but slowly.  It's slippery, yes I know....there's ice here and snow, so go figure!  Falling is not something I like doing, because, well....it hurts a lot more now then when I was younger.  This means that staying on your feet is a priority!  Who wants to get shipped off because they sprained an ankle or broke a leg, not this guy!


This is the main road in town, nicknamed Highway 1.
So that sums up walking, in actuality moving around isn't always bad, when the wind isn't blowing, it is a little easier and some of the gear unnecessary.  The issue is that the weather here changes incredibly quickly.

Here's a better view of the five-way intersection on Highway 1
 
Enough of walking around!  What about life, you know, eating, sleeping, playing, etc.!!  When here you live in dorms.  These dorms were all built in the 1950's, so you're not in the lap of luxury, but none of us are here to be comfortable.  In most cases you get assigned a roommate.  I had a friend (Bill) as a roommate last night.  He runs the South Pole operations, and luckily his plane made it out to Pole this morning.  So for now, I'm alone in this room.  I really hope it stays that way, but I doubt it will for long.  I have to say, I like the room.  The mattress is nice and there are lots of blankets (it isn't exactly warm in the rooms).  I have a desk and metal wardrobe.  Basically, it works.


 I don't have any pictures of the cafeteria.  I'll have to snap a few, but it is a pretty standard cafeteria.  The food here is pretty good and there is a good selection this time of year since flights are regular.  The salad bar is my favorite in fact.  There is always hot coffee available too!  There is a store in my building that sells basic supplies that you might need or that you forgot at home.  Great example here - a towel.  I brought everything in my packet that I was told I'd need.....what didn't they tell me I'd need....a towel.  Eight dollars later and I have a plain white towel.  No worries though, you can shower a maximum of four times per week, but are encouraged to shower less to conserve water.  With the amount of clothes you're wearing it doesn't really matter I suppose, but showers are nice and some people you pass in the hallways really really need to shower more often.....

The view here are amazing.  I am going on a driving tour tomorrow with the area manager for McMurdo to see the whole station and it's annexes.  I plan to take lots of pictures for you all.  I haven't been able to take a picture that can really can do this place justice.  I will try though!

I did snap one good picture today.  Of course, the little boy in me saw a red fire engine and the fire station, so I had to snap a picture.  :)  Until tomorrow.....  Oh!  If anyone has any questions post it here or send me an email!  Just remember that I am 17 hours ahead of you if you're on the East Coast, so I will be posting during your night. 


1 comment:

  1. Funny tidbit: I just did a google search for McMurdo....I'd heard of it but didn't know where it was.

    The Google map that the search returned was a big gray box with a marker in the middle that said McMurdo. So I guess, even according to google, you're in the middle of nowhere!

    Safe journeys.

    ReplyDelete