Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gonzalo!

How do you wrap up such a great, yet short trip to Chile?  I really don't know.  I had a lot of fun and can't wait to head back in a few months.  Well, here goes!

Waiting.  Just Waiting.  We all know this feeling on the last day of any trip when you have an evening flight.  You find yourself sitting in your hotel room staring at walls not knowing what to do with yourself.  I railed against this an decided to sit in the bar.  hmmm.  Not really much better, but there was diet soda there, so.....face it...boring.  UNTIL!  My phone rings at about 1200 and it's Gonzalo.  You remember Gonzalo from the empenada place!  He wants to go to lunch and show me around since I'm leaving.  I pay the check and out the door I go to wait for him.  He pulls up a few minutes later and off we go to lunch.  I'm thinking we're going to another uniquely Chilean place of course.  Wonder what new or exciting things I'll try.  We end up at Dino's Pizza.  Well, I think, food is food.  Walking in though, it occurs to me that there is nothing even remotely Italian about this place or the menu.  YES!  Chilean Pizza!  What a great concept.  I ordered a Calabresa Jamon.  This thing was so good it should be illegal.  Seriously good and seriously bad for you and definitely worth eating.  It is this light thin pizza crust with what I think was tomato paste spread on it.  Then is a layer of chorizo that is crushed and spread , then ham slices, then cheese.  You can see it below, it is nothing nice to look at, but let me tell you, for a last meal in Chile and knowing that I wasn't getting anything but airplane food for the next 24 hours or so; this was heaven.

After filling up on this pizza, Gonzalo takes me for a drive.  I can't really explain how pretty this small town is.  You have to be there, standing where I stood, and know that this is the southern tip of Chile and that there really isn't anything else around, but this town, for a long long way.  I have pictures below.  On the panoramic, the ocean to the left is the Atlantic and to the right is the Pacific.  They meet right here.  This place is wonderful and extraordinary in a very special way.  If you ever make it to Chile, take a couple days, deal with the crap flights for four hours south of Santiago and see this place.  Thank you, Gonzalo and thank you, Chile!!!  :)


Dino's Pizza!


This really isn't anything to look at, but it was YUM!

Simple but perfect to end my trip with!

click - click - click!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment