Monday, September 10, 2012

Adolpho???

So I'm off again.  Back to Australia because there are "issues" to be sorted and I'm apparently the person who needs to sort them.  I do tire of fixing problems other people create, but at the same time, I'm earning a whole lot of frequent flyer miles to take my love wherever her heart desires, so I really can't complain.  Also, let's face it; there are a lot of worse places I could be going on my trips, many of which I've been to sadly.  Happy to be going somewhere that they love to live!  But I'm not "there" yet!  Nope, still at LAX (Los Angeles) waiting another five hours for my Qantas flight to leave.  Yay for losing a day again!  Although the double Friday, I must protest, is still cruel; but at least I get to skip Monday this time! 

So this title "Adolpho???" that I used.  I seem to meet interesting people on my travels.  Maybe it's because I talk to everyone and always try to smile even when they're grumpy.  This guy, Adolpho, was definitely not grumpy.  He moved to LA about three or four years ago from Guatemala and started working at the airport shortly after.  He's been a baggage handler, janitor, food handler, groundsman (no idea what that is), and now drives a shuttle bus between terminals.  We talked the whole way between terminals, which at LAX is about five or ten minutes since I think they make you circle the airport a few times.  Adolpho moved here to find a better job.  He was in construction in Guatemala and has family here, so moving made sense.  It was genuinely nice to see someone who enjoys what they do and the benefits he gets for a hard days work.  Face it, this guy works harder than most people who'll read this blog.  But he had a smile and greeted me as if I was an old friend when I boarded the shuttle bus.  So I was the only person on the bus, which made our conversation even better.  I was snapping photos of the airport and aircraft the whole time.  When he saw me try to get a shot of the really big planes he stopped the bus since my first attempt was right as we hit a very large bump; actually it felt like we hit a mountain and bounced me around a bit.  A true YouTube moment in fact.  So I got the photo, and I still feel like a kid looking at these monsters-of-the-sky!  So why all the question marks, you know that part is bothering you right about now!  Well, I never knew Adolpho was a Guatemalan name.  I guess I don't know what I expected, but Adolpho...hmmm...nope.

So now I'm in the Qantas lounge drinking wine and eating snacks and did I mention drinking wine!?  Once I recover from the 16-hour flight and get some real sleep I'll update again! 

Oh, and Melissa - I love you!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment